While writing down my studying goals for the rest of this month last week, I also wrote down a deadline for my NaNoWriMo 2011 novel's second draft. I have been terribly lazy with it, I must confess, and the editing has taken illegally long, especially because the second draft wasn't meant to be so terribly edited anyway, just in a printable form, without too much typos and grammatical banalities.
The deadline was 31st May, my and Agata's anniversary, and I thought it was reachable. Editing during studying breaks, it sounded like a perfect life for some weeks.
Then yesterday, I overslept but managed to study, and at 10 PM I had a finished second draft saved and proofcopied multiple times. I had advanced with it more than I originally had thought I had, and thus I only had two and a half chapters left to edit. I also printed the whole 96 pages long thing. And while I thought I had lost thousands of words, I had actually gained more than I had lost. That was because I had written an extra scene in.
And so, I had a 60,404 word long second draft in my hands. As long as it took, as absurdly long as it took, I am pleased and ecstatic. I have my first novel draft ever printed at my fingertips for me to continue editing with a brightly coloured pencil.
I can't wait to rewrite it. I have decided to show the third draft to some people, mainly my partner, and I already am anxious to get some kind of feedback in order to work on the fourth draft. But first things first! Studies, third draft, and June's Camp NaNo.